Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Happy Birthday" to my Fabulous Four



Six years ago today at 5PM I heard Toby let out a cry! I knew she was due to have her kittens soon, and she picked the hottest day of the year to have her 4 beautiful babies! She had given birth to 2 when I walked into the room and although she had a box with newspapers for the occasion, she took them out of the box and tried hiding them under a chair. I put them back in the box and didn't leave Toby's side. I got a bowl of water and held it for her as she did her busy work! She was grateful.

Six years later it is the hottest day of the year once again.

Toby gave birth to 4 beautiful kittens, all white, but soon showing traces of color on their tails and ears/face. It was a beautiful experience, one that I have witnessed before with our old cat family gone by.

I didn't know if they were boys or girls but learned how to tell a little too late. I had learned from my Chloe and Dolly and Toby a bit too late how to tell girls from boys, so I got it right this time. They are Ewan, Gabriel, Olivia, and Little Joe who left us and went into Spirit after 7 weeks of life. He had "floating ribs" and they weren't where they were supposed to be, so he was taken from us prematurely. :(

Sadly, Toby, their mother, died last year from fluid in her lungs. She suffered badly at the vet before she was put to sleep, so I have doubts whether I will ever bring another pet to the vet to be tortured and then put to sleep. Dying at home may be the best choice...it depends on the circumstances.

But today, I celebrate their life...my beauties with paws! :) You make me happy and I appreciate the time we spend together. I love you and hope to post another birthday greeting the same time next year!

No comments: