Saturday, December 1, 2018

Remembering President George H.W. Bush

President George H.W. Bush

Saddened today as I woke to the news that President George H.W. Bush had passed away. He was a good man and when he was president I was so moved by his State of the Union Address. I went to bed that night thinking what it would be like to be a soldier as the Persian Gulf War was going on. I had visions of a soldier carrying his weapon and saw his boots  and put myself in them. The next day I wrote a poem called, Lone Soldier, and mailed it to President Bush with a letter of support. To my surprise I received a letter from him that I will post here, and my local newspaper did a story about it after I called them to ask them if they have heard from others receiving the same letter, and they hadn't.
I knew this day was coming as did the whole nation after he had many trips to the hospital and at age 94 he made the decision he didn't want more trips to the hospital. My letter and newspaper article are posted below. 
My letter from President Bush
Article in my local Woonsocket Call newspaper
includes my poem, "Lone Soldier."
I sent this newspaper article to Barbara Bush in case she was collecting such things for memory's sake. She responded with a short note that I will cherish forever along with the President's letter. I have special memories of President and Mrs. Bush. May they be joined once again in a heavenly home prepared for them by their God. 

Rest In Peace

No comments: